Sunday, May 15, 2011

Sisterly Send-off...


When I awoke the next morning for asana practice I found that my mother had completed the clothing she promised me.  A shirt and pants that used to belong to papa that she had modified.  A pair socks, shoes and an old belt.  Beside them were the hora.   This was really happening.  I was excited and nervous at the same time.
After practice I dressed in the “new” garb and gathered some food to carry with me.  Mother and father had already said their farewells to me.  I just needed to bid adieu to my sister, who just happened to walk up behind me.

Amrita!  I think you are being a hypocrite.

What?  Kaumari, you know we each have our own path to follow, even if it takes us away from loved ones.

Are you certain you are ready to do this?  Don’t you think you ought to stay here and learn some more.  You don’t see me racing off to the big city now that I am a woman.

It is not like that sis!

Really?  I honestly don’t think your mind is ready for the onslaught you are going to face.  There is a lot you don’t know.

You are really hurting my heart Kaumari! As if you know any better!

I know enough to know that I’m not ready to venture into the realm of adventurers.  That is for sure.  I think you need more training—

What better training then life experience?!  That is what I am doing.  Mother and Father didn’t try to deter me.  Why are you being so cruel sister?  I’m about to leave.  All I wanted from you is a kiss and hug for I know not when I might see you again.

I began to cry.  I knew out of the three of them I would miss my beloved sister the most.  Yet here she was admonishing this decision.  Here she sat watching me cry with no emotion on her face what so ever.

How can you be like that?!

I have managed to shed my ego, sister.

And your compassion as well?!

Kaumari seemed mildly shocked at that.  I gulped down a sob and wiped my face with the sleeve of my shirt.

Despite this exchange, I will miss you Kaumari… you’re my only sister and I love you!

With that I leaned over and pressed my lips to hers, then hugged her tightly and turned and left.

No comments:

Post a Comment