Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Wood-sin or samskara?

I had been warned about woodsin when I first arrived in Gridania. I thought for sure I didn't have any, but I supposed I ought to participate in the purification rite. I did go to the trouble of learning the dance, after all. And I supposed it was possible that what they called wood-sin was actually my past samskaras. Not a bad idea to purge those.


Of course nothing is ever quite that easy… I had been asked to retrieve some Pearl Clover Fruits in the forest. This led to a little conversation with one of the Moogles about returning wildlings. While the Moogle was off trying to glean an answer to my question, I overheard the sound of an axe nearby. Normally I wouldn’t pay such sounds much mind but this… This sounded different. This sounded angry. I decided to investigate.
What I found was one of Gridania’s younglings laying into a tree with an axe. He wasn’t trying to harvest, he was trying to infuriate the wood! He began going on about how he knew elementals weren’t real. Before I could try to calm him down, the moogle returned with a message for me to deliver.
Knowing the importance of moogle messages, I returned to Gridania at once.
Apparently my reputation preceded me as I was now referred to as one who was beckoned by the forest. This caused me to be summoned to guilds all around Gridania.
While making my rounds word came about a major commotion in the forest. Immediately, I followed Brother O-App, who I had been speaking with, to the scene.

And what a sight it was… There in the clearing was the youngling I had seen earlier, but now the tree he had been hacking at was ablaze! I sensed this wouldn’t bode well for any of us. Just then, a spirit of the wood made itself angrily known. It seemed I had no other choice but to lay my hands upon it…
Despite what that youngling said, the elementals are very real.

No comments:

Post a Comment